2018-2019 APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Award Range: Junior League of the Shoals (JLS) will award individual grant amounts up to $6,500 per grant. Applicants must list a requested funding amount within the application and may not request more than $6,500. Applications requesting more than $6,500 will not be reviewed or considered for funding. The total amount of 2018-2019 grant funds awarded is to be determined by JLS based upon the merits of submitted applications and available funds.
Application Access: The 2018-2019 grant application will be made available on the Junior League of the Shoals website at www.jltheshoals.org on November 1, 2018. The application will close on December 31, 2018 at 5 pm CST.
Application Deadline: Completed 2018-2019 grant applications will be due on December 31, 2018 by 5 pm CST. Applications MUST be submitted electronically through our website. Only complete applications will be considered. Facsimile applications will not be accepted. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours, acknowledging receipt of your application. If you do not receive confirmation of your submission, please contact the Finance Committee chair at email@example.com. Late applications will not be accepted and no extensions will be granted.
Notification of Recipients: The review and evaluation of all grant applications is made via an objective review process and is based on the following criteria:
• Clear project description and defined, measurable objectives
• Justification of need
• Project impact
• Complete and detailed budget that clearly relates to proposed project
• Evaluation plan
• Implementation plan, including a reasonable and clearly articulated timeline
• Focus on women and/or children
• Brief interview with JLS representative The review process takes approximately 8-12 weeks from the application deadline date to be completed. Applicants will be notified no later than March 19, 2019 if their application has been accepted or rejected. Each applicant will be notified by email at the address specified within the grant application. Grant recipients will be expected to attend the April 2019 JLS meeting to receive their award.
The review process takes approximately 8-12 weeks from the application deadline date to be completed. Applicants will be notified no later than March 19, 2019 if their application has been accepted or rejected. Each applicant will be notified by email at the address specified within the grant application. Grant recipients will be expected to attend the April 2019 JLS meeting to receive their award.
Award Project Evaluation: Junior League of the Shoals requires grant recipients to provide information on the impact of the funded project(s). Grant recipients will be provided an Evaluation Form that is due upon completion of the project. All evaluation forms are due by November 1, 2019. Grant recipients that do not submit the form by the required date will not be eligible for funding during the next grant cycle.
Date for Awarding Funding: Funds will be disbursed on April 2, 2019. Funds will be given in the form of a check made payable to the grant recipient. No exceptions are allowed.
Length of Project: Projects submitted under a grant application must be implemented between April 2, 2019 and November 1, 2019.
Applicant Eligibility: Grants are available to any school, educational institution or community-based organization with 501(c)3 or tax-exempt status in Lauderdale or Colbert Counties in Alabama. Proposals must be directed to meet needs in these counties to be considered for funding. Only one application per community organization will be accepted.
Eligible Projects: All grants should be innovative projects that are not fully funded by an alternate funding source. Applicants must clearly demonstrate why the requested funds are needed, accounting for any current funding or funding that has been approved for receipt from an alternate source. Generally, JLS is less likely to fund operating expenses (i.e. salaries, benefits, etc.) and items used one time (i.e. food, beverages, a field trip, etc.).
Generally, JLS is more likely to fund tangible items (i.e. program equipment, learning materials, etc.) and items which may continue to serve (i.e. seed money for a new/pilot project, program material, etc.). Requests for building or landscaping improvements should not be included in a grant proposal. Please note that JLS does not fund tax or shipping expenses. The application description of the proposed project must describe quantitative and/or qualitative methods used to evaluate the success of the project.
NOTE: As of 2018, JLS will no longer fund technology grant requests for items such as iPads, Google Chromes, etc.
Guidelines for Completing Application:
• Grant applications must be complete and comply with stated deadlines. Late applications will not be accepted and no extensions will be granted.
• Information presented in the grant application should be clear and to the point. Make sure the project description and desired outcome(s) are clearly articulated.
• Programs/Projects submitted in a grant application should demonstrate innovation in impacting the lives of women and children. Applicants should not seek funding for programs fully funded through an alternate source.
• Thoughtfully consider the evaluation component of your grant application. Each grant funded will need to be measured by tangible metrics to determine its effectiveness. Furthermore, funded grants will be required to submit a final evaluation report.
• Define all acronyms used within the grant application to facilitate understanding by grant reviewers. Proofread the grant application carefully. Be sure to double check your budget worksheet to ensure that totals are correct. Also, check for consistency across the project description, timeline and budget/budget narrative.
• Every grant request requires an electronic signature by an Executive Director, Supervisor or Authorized Representative.